Admission to Japan’s national treasure, Matsumoto Castle
|Adults||Elementary and Junior High students||Remarks|
|Private||700 yen||300 yen|
|Groups||630 yen||270 yen||Over 20 and under 99 persons|
|560 yen||240 yen||Over 100 and under 299 persons|
|490 yen||210 yen||Over 300 persons|
* Elementary and under no charge
* For all other details please inquire at the management office.
Open all year except during New Year’s Holiday (Dec. 29 – Dec. 31)
|Ordinary Season||8:30 – 17:00 (last admission is 16:30)|
|During Golden Week Between Apr. 25 (Sat), 2020 – May 6 (Wed)||8:00 – 18:00 (last admission is 17:30)|
|Summer Season Between Aug. 8 (Sat), 2020 – Aug. 16 (Sun)|
Duration of touring the castle
During Golden Week and Obon, the peak season, the castle grounds are extremely crowded. In some cases, we may limit admission in order to secure safety of visitors. During your admission to the castle, we ask that you follow the course provided and move along according to the guidance in order to ensure smooth viewing. Some areas of the gardens are off limits in order to ensure smooth viewing, so we ask for your understanding and cooperation in advance.
Matsumoto Castle Hospitality Team
Every day between 9:00 – 16:00, princesses and armored warriors will grace the Honmaru Gardens. You can give them your camera to take photos of you, or ask them to join you in taking photos for memories of your travels.
Besides the times given above, Ninja and warriors with banners claiming “Hospitality Team” will appear, so please catch them and get them to take photos with you too.
Caution Concerning Viewing
- Please be reminded that the Matsumoto Castle is a national treasure, and the oldest five tiered wooden castle.There are only stairs that allow you to view the castle. Some stairways are narrow and steep, so we ask that you watch your step. (ordinary stairs: 140, maximum grade is about 61 degrees.)
- Please take shoes off inside of the castle.We have provided shoe bags at the entrance, so please put your shoes in a bag and take them with you on your tour. Thank You.
- The Uzumi Gate on the Red Uzumibashi Bridge is closed for now due to maintenance. Please use the Black Entrance during this time.
There is a shop on the castle grounds.
Many original goods not available anywhere else are sold here, so please take advantage of it to purchase your souvenirs and commemorative gifts.